Thursday, November 7, 2013

More LED madness

After being inspired by a fellow Vanagon e-mail list member Jarrett, I decided it was time to add some more LED lighting to the camper. I previously installed LED light strips in the upper shelf but found it to be more of a mood light rather than useful for reading.
I have had pretty good luck buying LED lighting off eBay but at $39 for the swivel base LED spotlight from IKEA I decided to give it a try
Removing the metal cover under the upper bunk provided the perfect spot to mount all four lights as well as plenty of room to hide the wires. After spray painting it metallic silver, here's the mock-up.
Drilling the holes...
Almost ready for mounting
Installed and ready to hook up the wiring

I think this will be one of the best upgrades so far, bright warm reading light with minimal power usage.

Super happy with the results and looking forward to using it on our next camping excursion. Here's a final shot of my pretty wifey reading up on her Vanagon literature

6 comments:

  1. hello john;
    nice job,nice blue 'westy'..above the picture on the front seats,what make is it.?!do you has any picture from the -front-? thank you,greeting from toronto;laszlo
    /this the blue i'm looking for,to find a westy for me../

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Are you asking what front seats I have? If so, check out my post where I installed them. http://1981vwcamper.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-day-finally-arrived-and-i-was-able.html

      Delete
  2. great idea!! This is beautiful, we actually went to ikea to get a set of these, but now I'm confused as how to actually hook up the wiring!! Do you have more details on that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm sure you'll love it as well. The Ikea wiring all fit neatly in the panel. From there I simply ran some more 12V wiring along the spice rack/upper side tray, just tucked out of view. Then down to fuse panel that is hooked into my house battery. I went on eBay for an LED dimmer remote which does an excellent job at getting whatever brightness you want. Hope that helps http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-RF-Wireless-Remote-Switch-Controller-Dimmer-for-Mini-LED-Strip-Light-New-DX-/261619593568?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&hash=item3ce9be3160

      Delete
  3. I’m really amazed with your posting skills as well as with the layout on your blog site. Is this a paid style or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the pleasant quality writing, it is rare to see a great site such as this one these days.I recently came to know about http://tritonlighting.com/, their LED Strip Lights Archives are very effective.
    LED Strip Lights Archives

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi admin
    Its extremely awful, that is the blog you admire I likeable it.
    I have conjointly this related website.
    Do me a favor and buy doggy clothes for your doggy before he starts to yelp, cry, and bark! You have brought home your new addition, and he has four legs.
    Doggy Leuchte
    Best Regards
    Marlene Lorie

    ReplyDelete