The winter months are far from ideal for camping in Oregon so we took one of the few sunny days to perform some upgrades. One of the disadvantages of living in Oregon is the issues with mold and being parked outside, the camper was not immune to this problem. After reading many solutions to the problem thanks to the Vanagon e-mail list and The Samba I decided to go all out and replace the canvas tent and refurbish the fiberglass pop-top.
The previous owner attempted to paint the roof but judging by the white paint that came off during each car wash I thought I would give it a try myself. Here are some before pictures of the roof and luggage rack:
First up was removing the luggage rack:
Here are some of the after shots:
While I had the luggage rack off I decided to do some upgrades, below you can see the "new" tie-down hooks as well as drain hole screens:
Unscrewing the bottom part of the canvas tent was straight forward but got a little cramped at the back. It also made me think how much harder it will be to re-install. Here are some shots of the front and rear canvas being removed.
I ordered a new 3 window canvas tent for the pop-top and all new seals from Bus Depot for the entire roof and the timing was pretty much perfect as the parts I ordered arrived on a sunny day. It is suggested that the roof be removed with a minimum of 3 people but I wasn't going to tell that to my wife. With her strength the two of us managed to take the whole roof off, go down a flight of stairs and place it on our front porch so I could work on it.
Here is the Vanagon with a nice open "sunroof", I don't think it looks nearly as good without the roof:
Here is the finished inside roof:
And here it is the next morning! I have yet to get the corners screwed in and am confident that will straighten out the remaining wrinkles and tighten things up but had to stop due to the rain. All new seals installed as well as a new WESTFALIA sticker for the rear make this roof better than new.
And here she is all complete. My fingers are raw after getting the four corners in and yes...the rear corners were extremely difficult. I think it fits perfect, the grey color gives it a more updated look and the extra side windows let in so much more sunlight.