Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A few updates to the interior mods that I have been working on. My overall goal is to change the original brown(s) to a more modern grey theme. I managed to get some free poly leather type material that was very high quality and thought it would go well with the existing panelling. The rear hatch panel and front door panels were fairly warped/cracked/broken so I bought some spray adhesive and went to work. Here are before and after of the front door panels

 
Total cost for this was $11 for the can of spray adhesive and $6 for a really nice 6-piece auto trim panel tool kit from Harbor Freight Tools. Far from perfect but I think a great improvement

I have been looking up carbon-fibre vinyl and finally got a 4'x2' roll to try it out. Here are the before and after pictures. I'm not totally sold on it yet but it certainly goes with the grey suede couch and cushions

It is a textured dark grey carbon-fibre self adhesive vinyl that was very easy to put on after I removed the seat base. I think I'll leave the rest of the cabinetry for that "old school" - "new-school" combination.

The rear panel was an issue as it was basically in two pieces once I removed all the clips. I found a piece of cardboard and put that on top of the old panel and covered in the same fabric. Far from perfect but much better than before. Not the best of pictures, there are three lines from where the cardboard had it's natural bends but still way better than before
Overall I'm very happy with the end result, especially considering the minimal cost involved. I attempted to remove the sliding door panel but it is way too brittle and every clip seems to break..along with the panel. It has a huge crack in it as well so I have ordered in a new panel and will cover it when it arrives.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment